Stretch marks or striae are tears in the middle layer of skin.
Result of rapid stretching of the skin associated with rapid growth or rapid weight changes.
Men and women can develop stretch marks over abdominal area, thighs, breasts, upper arms, lower back and buttocks.
Stretch marks removal treatment aims to make the marks less obvious.
Commonly occur in
- Pregnant women- Pregnancy stretch marks
- Teenagers during growth spurts
- Rapid gain or weight loss
- Body builders, weightlifters
- People taking oral steroids
How to prevent/avoid Stretch Marks
- Avoid excessice weight gain
- Well balanced healthy diet
- Exercise regularly
- Moisturising skin regularly
- Avoid steroid medications
Stretch marks Removal/Treatment
Various over-the-counter stretch marks removal creams help in fading stretch marks by inducing production of elastin and collagen, and increasing skin's elasticity and strength.
Treatments that improve the appearance of the striae include-
- Topical retinoids
- Fractional laser resurfacing