- Tinea or ring worm is the name given to group of diseases caused by fungus over skin.
- Tinea is infectious and easily spread to body parts and other individuals.
- You can get them by touching an infected person.
- Ring worm is a red colored skin rash that forms a ring.
- It is called by different names depending on the part of the body which is affected.
Skin fungus of groin area
- It is called Jock itch, it causes itchy, burning rash in groin area.
Skin fungus of feet
- It is called Athlete's foot causes itching and fissures in the skin between the toes.
- This skin fungus is called Tinea pedis.
- appears as red, scaly macerated patches of skin, often between fourth and fifth toes.
- Rapidly spreads to side of feet. Pustules and vesicles may be visible.
- Affected skin is itchy and uncomfortable.
- Most people acquire from walking bare foot in high-humidity areas like gym bathroom, swimming pool areas etc.
Ringworm infection of scalp
- It is called Tinea capitis.
- Often affects school-aged children
- Dry scaly patches, baldness and broken hair are noticed in this skin fungus.
How can you avoid Skin Fungus infection
Dry your skin thoroughly after you have a bath.
- Wash your socks, clothes and bed linen frequently .
- Wear clean flip-flops or plastic shoes in damp, communal areas.
- Wear loose fitting clothes that are made of cotton.
- Don't share towels, hair brushes and combs.
- Alternate pairs of shoes every two or three days to give them time to dry out.
- Soak pillows, hats, combs or scissors with bleach and water if someone in your family has scalp ringworm.
- Follow good hygiene to prevent fungal infections spreading to others.
- In case of infection avoid using over the counter medicines. Consult your dermatologist.