What is Laser Hair Removal?
- Laser Hair Removal is a process of hair removal by means of exposure to pulses of Laser light that destroy the hair follicles.
- It had been performed experimentally for about 20 years before becoming commercially available in 1995 and 1996.
- Laser hair removal is one of the most commonly done cosmetic procedures in the USA.
How does laser hair removal work?
- Laser emits a light that is absorbed by the pigment (Melanin) in the hair.
- The light energy is converted to heat, which damages the tube-shaped sacs, i.e. the hair follicles within the skin, which produces hair.
How is laser hair removal different from Electrolysis?
- Electrolysis is another method of removing hair and has been used for over 135 years.
- It is a method which destroys hair with the help of a chemical or heat energy.
- In this procedure, a short wave of electric current is passed through a very fine probe or needle, which is inserted in to the hair follicle.
- The burnt hair root is removed with the help of a tweezer.
- Thus multiple needle pricks are required for electrolysis, and it carries a risk of infection if not done under sterile precautions.
- Electrolysis is a process of permanent hair removal. It works on both black and grey hair.
- As compared to the laser technology, electrolysis is a slow and tedious process.
What is Full Body Laser hair removal?
Full Body laser hair removal is a process of removing hair from different parts of the body likes face, legs, arms, under-arms, back, neck, bikini line, etc.
What are the benefits of laser over other body hair removal procedures?
- While Waxing makes your hair growth thick and coarse, laser makes your hair fine and softer, thus reducing unwanted hair growth.
- Also, laser does not lead to inflammation or burning.
- Unlike waxing, laser makes the skin smoother and radiant, reducing the chances of in-growth.
- Laser hair removal shows visible results in 6-8 sessions. Whereas the other body hair removal methods do not cause any reduction in the hair growth.
- When using hair removal creams the most common side-effect is skin irritation and pain. This does not happen with laser as there is no or very minimal discomfort experienced by the patient.
- Waxing can cause rashes, bumps and allergic reactions on skin but, with laser such problems are not witnessed.
- There are chances of in-grown hair appearing again when patients for hair removing creams or waxing. But with laser, chances of in-grown hair tend to reduce with every session.
- Waxing and hair removal creams cause scarring sometimes, which is not seen with full body body laser hair removal treatment.
Does laser hair removal treatment remove unwanted hair permanently?
- The full body laser hair removal is proven to be an effective method to remove unwanted hair. If done correctly by an experiences doctor or therapist, the laser destroys hair’s stem cells, making it a perfect solution for preventing frequent hair growth.
- Full body laser is actually a method of permanent hair reduction. And maintenance sessions are required to maintain the hair reduction achieved with primary sessions.
- Medically laser hair reduction can be defined as thinning of hair, lightening of color oh hair and decrease in density of the hair in a body area.
Does the full body laser hair removal treatment hurt?
- Laser is a painless treatment. Most people do not require any numbing cream during full body laser hair removal.
- However, the slight discomfort associated with the treatment depends upon the patient’s skin type, body part, thickness of hair and equipment used.
Why should you opt for Full Body laser hair removal Treatment?
- Laser is a time saving process which allows the patient to go back to their regular activities after the treatment.
- It get rids of unwanted in-grown hair.
- It does not cause redness or burning sensation on skin unlike other hair removal procedures, like, razors, waxing, etc.
- It controls body odor, for both women and men.
Do you need to shave before going for Body laser?
- A clean shave with a sharp razor is a must.
- The part of hair above the skin is razed off and that below the skin level is targeted by the laser.
- Thus removing the hair above the skin prevents any chances of superficial burns of the skin.
Is Full Body laser hair removal an affordable treatment?
Full Body laser is not a costly treatment as there are various economical packages available at all skin care centers, making it a convenient treatment for the patients to opt for.
For how long does a body laser sessions last?
- It varies from person to person as different people have different types of hair growth and skin type. But generally, after 6-8 sessions, the patient can witness a marked reduction in hair.
- Maintenance sessions are a must for every body area.
Is it safe to go for full body laser?
Yes it is safe, although it is recommended to avoid sun and salon services for few days after the session.
Can men also go for full Body laser hair removal?
- All men who are looking for removing hair from all parts of the body find laser as a really useful treatment.
- laser hair removal is appealing to Men who are uncomfortable with excess hair on their back, chest, stomach and other parts of the body.
- Infact, a lot of male sportsperson, who want to get rid of unwanted hair, like Body-Builders, Swimmers, Cyclists, etc, go for full Body laser hair removal.
When will you see new growth after your first laser session?
After going for the first full body laser hair removal session, your hair will look like it is growing back, but it is not. The targeted hair is simply making its way out of the hair follicles. After about 10 days, the hair will start shedding.
Can you get Cancer from laser hair removal?
No, you can’t. The laser energy used here is a non- ionizing radiation which is harmless to your body.
How do you get the best result from laser treatment?
The first thing is to go for consultation beforehand and get all your queries cleared from a specialist. Then you can go for the final procedure.
However, it is advisable to avoid bleaching or waxing your hair for a couple of days before an full body laser hair removal treatment.
Does laser cause more growth of hair?
No, it does not. laser destroys hair follicle, which prevent the future growth of hair.
Does laser work on grey/white hair?
Laser can be done on almost all skin types, except for very dark or brown colored skin. But it is not effective on all hair types. The laser works best when there is a contrast between the hair color and skin color.
laser hair removal doesn't work on grey hair.
Why does laser not work on grey/ white hair?
Full body laser hair removal does not work on the grey/white hair simply because of the reason that it is a procedure that is based on the light energy which seeks melanin, so more melanin means more light energy is required to destroy hair.
Grey and other types of hair such as blonde, red, light brown, white hair do not have enough melanin to absorb laser light so destruction of hair becomes impossible.
Can you do laser at home?
Yes, you can and there are IPL devices to help you perform this procedure at home. But, lasers at clinics are much more effective, safer and targeted to give best and long- term results.
Are there any areas of the body that are not suitable for laser treatment?
Although, laser can be done on all parts of the body but it is advisable to avoid area around eyes.
Also, extra care needs to be taken around genital areas.