What are Dermal Fillers ?
- Young, healthy looking skin contains an abundant hydrating substance called Hyaluronic Acid (HA).
- The role of Hyaluronic Acid in skin is to deliver nutrients, hydrate the skin by holding in water, and to act as a cushioning agent.
- But as you age the amount of Hyaluronic Acid reduces in your skin. The lack of Hyaluronic Acid causes your skin to lose structure and volume, creating unwanted facial wrinkles and folds around your nose and mouth.
- Dermal fillers Juvederm Restylane Perlane effectively replace the Hyaluronic Acid of your skin, bringing back its volume and smoothening away facial wrinkles and folds.
- They temporarily add volume to the facial tissue and give the appearance of a smoother surface.
Benefits of Dermal Filler
- No down-time
- Immediate results at a low cost as compared to surgery
Indications of Facial fillers Juvederm Restylane Perlane
- Wrinkles and folds- Nasolabial fold, Marionette lines
- Enhance shallow contours of face
- Lip augmentation
- Sunken eyes
- Nasal depressions, Nose Augmentation
- Depressed scars- surgical, acne scars, chickenpox scars
Types of Fillers
- Temporary Fillers- they stay in the tissue for less than a year. Fillers Juvederm Restylane
- Semi-permanent Fillers- last for 1-2 years. Sculptra, Radiesse
- Permanent Fillers- remain in tissue for more than 2 years. Aquamid
Currently, Hyaluronic Acid (HA) Fillers are most commonly used. Several Hyaluronic acid fillers are available in the market
Hyaluronic Acid (HA)
- Juvederm filler works by adding volume to the facial tissue through its active ingredient, Hyaluronic Acid (HA).
- HA is a natural sugar-based compound found in human body. It contributes to volume and elasticity to the skin, creating a young and fresh appearance.
- As we age, our skin's ability to manufacture its own HA diminishes.
- Juvederm is an injectable dermal filler which is composed of modified form of HA.
- When Juvederm is injected into fine lines, wrinkles, furrows, or sunken areas of the face, it replenishes the depleted natural HA, resulting in more youthful and rejuvenated appearance.
Several products in the Juvederm family
- HA differs by concentration and degree of cross-linking in various products.
- The degree of modification of HA can have significant effect on the properties of the filler.
- Increasing the cross-link density strengthens the overall network, thereby increasing the hardness and stiffness of the filler gel. Low cross-linked density of HA results in softer filler gel.
- Cross-linked HA resists enzymatic and radical degradation in the body and therefore extends the life of the fillers in the skin.
- Also, HA has affinity for water. Although the HA gel's capacity to hold water and swell vary from product to product.
- The HYALACROSS technology products Ultra XC and Ultra plus XC swell after being injected in the dermis.
- The VYCROSS technology products like Volbella, Volift and Voluma there is minimum gel expansion as there is less water uptake. So during the treatment what you see is what you get.
- It is a softer filler
- It is used mainly for lips, superficial lines and wrinkles around the eyes.
- Juvederm Ultra XC is used for injection into the lip and perioral area for lip augmentation.
- Juvederm Ultra XC has added lidocaine, an anaesthetic to make the injection more comfortable.
- It is thicker in consistency and firmer, and is used for deeper and more severe folds or wrinkles.
- Juvederm Ultra plus XC is used for correction of moderate to severe wrinkles and folds of the skin like nasolabial folds.
- Used for deep Nasolabial folds, Cheek enhancement or correction and Chin enhancement.
- Juvederm Ultra Plus XC has lidocaine added.
Juvederm Voluma XC is used for deep injection in cheek area to correct the age related volume loss of the cheek area.
Juvederm Volbella XC is used for lip area to add subtle volume and to smooth vertical lip lines. Leads to fuller and plumper lips. It is specially designed for gently restoring natural-looking lip volume and defining lip contours.
Juvederm Volift XC is produced using VYCROSS technology. This provides a versatile treatment option for patients looking for a discreet, natural look.
- A non-animal, biodegradable gel composed of Hyaluronic Acid.
- Smoothening of facial folds and wrinkles in areas around mouth and eyes.
- Difference between Restylane and Perlane is the size of the particle
- Perlane is used for filling deep lines and wrinkles.
What is Lip enhancement/ Lip augmentation?
- Full lips with an accentuated border have often been associated with youth and beauty.
- The upper lip should be approximately 2/3 of the volume of lower lip and the central lower lip should protrude slightly beyond the upper lip.
- Lip augmentation is a non-surgical procedure that aims to improve the appearance of the lips by increasing their fullness.
- Involves making the lips numb and injecting them with fillers to create a more desirable pout.
- Lip enhancement is chosen by women of all ages who either have thin lips or whose lips have become thinner with age and lost their definition.
- Currently, Hyaluronic Acid Fillers Juvederm Restylane are commonly used.