What is Photofacial?
- Photofacial is a skin treatment that uses a light-based technology to boost collagen and lighten the appearance of blemishes.
- This skin treatment is used to treat fine lines and wrinkles, brown spots, broken capillaries, spider veins, and facial redness.
- The treatment delivers precise amounts of light energy through the skin surface to stimulate the production of collagen.
- As the new collagen forms it softens the appearance of aging skin.
- The two most popular Photofacial treatments are:
- IPL- Intense Pulsed Light
- LED- Light Emitting Diode
- LED treatment is often referred to as a Non-IPL or Light Therapy.
- It works best for minor skin problems since they act only on the outer layer of the skin.
- This treatment is often conducted via a hand-held device or a lamp.
- LED treatment work best if you have sensitive skin or just want to treat a minor blemish.
- An LED Photofacial is painless, cool and relaxing treatment.
- It uses a narrow spectrum of light to gently boost collagen creating plumper, younger looking skin.
- This procedure can also kill the bacteria that cause acne
- IPL is used for more serious conditions which affect the deeper layers of skin.
- IPL procedures work better and are more robust than LED therapy.
- IPL procedures treat a variety of skin conditions like brown spots, broken capillaries and spider veins.
- IPL Photofacial is done by dermatologists.
- During the procedure, a blast of light at intense pulses that absorb deeper into the skin than that of an LED treatment.
- While some IPLs have cooling devices, the heat from the light can cause slight discomfort.
- IPL treatments also require several visits. Usually the sessions are done once in a month and 5-6 sessions are required to see a good effect.
Benefits of Photofacial
- Open pores
- Mild acne scars
- Uneven pigmentation
- Freckles and age spots
- Broken capillaries
- Spider veins
- Red flushing skin
- Rosacea treatment
- Fine lines and wrinkles
Benefits of Photofacial
- Quick procedure
- No downtime required and the patient can go back to regular activities.
- It can be done in conjugation with any other treatment.
- Painless, IPL treatment feels like mild snapping of the rubber bands against the skin surface.
- Improvement of sun spots, age spots, dull complexion, uneven pigmentation, large pores, sun damaged skin and early signs of ageing.
- Improvement of red flushing skin, rosacea and broken capillaries.
- Smoother skin with a more even tone.
What to expect after Photofacial Treatment?
Immediately after an IPL treatment, there may be some mild redness. which is easily covered with make-up.
Patients are able to return to work and resume their normal activities right away.
Is Photofacial safe?
IPL based technology is generally considered safe procedure as potentially harmful ultra-violet radiation is filtered by blocking wave lengths below 500nm.
Why to opt for Photofacial Treatment?
- It can be done on any part of the body.
- It helps repair small blood vessels.
- It helps control acne.
- It reduces skin redness.
- It minimizes signs of ageing.
How many sessions required?
Number of photofacial session varies according to the skin type and concern of the patient. But, for best results, 5-6 sessions are generally required.