Your diet does affect acne breakouts. There s a direct association of glycemic index of food and acne. Studies show that high protein and low glycemic index diet dramatically improved acne.
1. Cow's milk- contains growth hormones that may cause blocking of pores by overgrowth of skin cells. It may spike blood sugar levels that increase inflammation. It increases insulin levels which enhances production of skin oils.
2. Sugar- overall sugar intake throughout the day is directly related to acne breakouts
3. High glycemic foods are the ones that breakdown quickly in the body, triggers insulin spikes and raise blood sugar levels. Foods with high glycemic index- white bread, cereals, white rice, potato chips, cookies and cakes.
Foods with low glycemic index- vegetables, whole grains, sweet potatoes, and most fruits.
4. Junk food and fast food - create inflammation in body leading to pimples. When eating out choose wisely and go for salads and yogurt.
5 Chocolate- though dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants, it should be consumed in moderation.
1. Omega 3 fatty acids rich food like fish, walnut, flaxseeds decrease inflammation. The western diet contains too much omega 6 fatty acids which are harmful to body.
2. Green tea- is filled with antioxidants that can protect us from enviromental stress factors.
3. Zinc is very useful part of acne diet . Zinc rich foods are oysters, toasted wheat germ, roasted pumpkin seeds and dried watermelon seeds, quinoa .
4. Fruits and vegetables contain beta carotene which naturally decrease skin oils and are anti inflammatory, thus form important part of acne diet.
5. Probiotics- decrease gut inflammation.