- Skin Tags are soft fleshy growths that hang from the skin.
- They are benign growths that often appear on the folds of the skin where moisture and friction are common.
- They are just a cosmetic concern.
- They are not cancerous.
- They are not contagious
- They rarely cause pain or discomfort.
- Rarely, a skin tag can get twisted and become tender, skin tags removal becomes important in such cases.
- Common areas of skin tags include under arms, neck area, under the breast, on eyelids, thighs and genital area.
- Post skin tags removal, typically they don't grow back.
Risk factors for developing Skin Tags
- More common in females
- Hormonal imbalance
Treatment for Skin Tag removal
- It is the safest and most commonly done procedure for skin tag removal by dermatologists.
- Topical numbing cream is applied under occlusion for 30 minutes.
- Traction is applied on the skin tag and the precisely focused beam of co2 laser is used to excise the lesion at its base.
- Minimized charring, faster healing, no scarring, no bleeding high efficacy, fast treatment as compared to conventional methods.
Benefits of Co2 Laser
- Office procedure
- Blood less, no sutures, minimal down time
- No scarring
- Because of high precision its ideal for hairy skin
- Minimal damage to the surrounding skin
Cryotherapy for Skin Tags Removal
Mechanism of action
- Liquid nitrogen, which is the most effective cryogen is used.
- Temperature of -25 degree centigrade to -50 degree centigrade can be achieved within 30 seconds.
- For benign lesions like skin tags, -20 degree to -30 degree centigrade is required for destruction.
- Irreversible damage occurs due to intracellular ice formation at these low temperature.
- Degree of damage depends on the rate of cooling and the minimum temperature attained.
- Inflammation occurs after 24 hours at the site of cryotherapy, further leads to destruction of the lesion.
- Thus, Cryotherapy is also an effective way of skin tags removal.
Benefits of Cryotherapy
- Short preparation time
- Low risk of infection
- Minimal wound care
- Not expensive
- Best for non hairy skin lesions
- Suture removal not required
Side-effects of Cryotherapy
- Pain after procedure
- Edema and blister formation
- Bleeding at freezing site
- Hypopigmentation and rarely scarring
- Freezing on forehead and temples can lead to headache
Co2 Laser is the most desirable treatment for skin tags removal. Laser is done by experienced dermatologists at SkinPrayag.