Hair Growth Cycle
- Hair loss in men- Male pattern baldness
- Hair loss in women- Female pattern baldness
- Alopecia areata- autoimmune condition, hair loss over scalp and body.
- Hair loss/Hair fall
- Dandruff/scaling/flaking of scalp
- Premature graying
- Greasy/oily hair
- Head lice
- Allergy to hair dyes/colors.
- Fungal infection
- Dry, dull, frizzy hair
- Hair thinning
- Split ends
Male Pattern Baldness
- Hair loss in men is also called Androgenetic alopecia.
- the roots of hair in the frontal and crown areas have a receptor which has increased sensitivity towards male sex hormones (Testosterone).
- This receptor is absent in the back and sides of the head area and other areas of the body.
- Starts as temporal recession and thinning along the anterior margin of hair line under the effect of male hormones.
- There is gradual thinning and falling of the hair in front and crown area of scalp.
- As it progresses a rim of hair at the sides and back of head remains.
Female pattern baldness
- Hair loss in women effects the top and crown area of the head.
- Causes diffuse thinning without hairline recession.
Alopecia Hair Loss Treatment
Topical Minoxidil 2 to 10%
HAIR TRANSPLANT/ HAIR RESTORATION SURGERY
Hair loss/Hair fall
A person loses 50 to 100 hairs every day, which is normal.
why hair loss?
- severe infections
- major surgery
- severe stress
- thyroid disorders
- other hormonal problems
- pregnancy and childbirth
- self induced- Trichotillomania
- medications- antidepressants, pain-killers, blood thinners, birth control pills, high blood pressure medications, chemotherapy, radiation
- Hair care practises- tight ponytails. Salon activities- bleaching, perming, blow-drying, straightening, highlighting.
Alopecia Hair loss Treatment
- Oral hair growth vitamins and minerals
- Topical steroid lotions, Minoxidil
Mesotherapy is the procedure of injecting growth factors, hair growth vitamins and proteins in the scalp of patients suffering from hair fall.
Benefits in Alopecia Hair Loss Treatment
- Enhances blood circulation
- speeds up revival of hair follicles
- Safe, no down-time, no scarring
- Nutritious diet rich in iron, protein, biotin, zinc
- Plenty of water
- Shampoo often, avoid brushing wet hair
- Cut back on styling products
- Learn to manage stress
- Exercise regularly
What is dandruff?
- It is the shedding of dead skin cells
- Dandruff should not be confused with dry scalp.
- Normally the skin cells of scalp are renewed, the old ones are pushed to to surface and shed.
- In people with dandruff, the skin cells of scalp may mature and shed in 2-7 days, as opposed to around a month in people without dandruff
What causes/ aggravates Dandruff?
- Hormonal changes
- Seasonal change, worsens in winter
- Parkinson's disease
- Oil, hair dyes, styling products
- Not shampooing regularly
- Fungus (malassezia)- lives on the scalp of healthy adults without causing problem. Sometimes grows out of control, feeding on the oil secreted by our hair follicles. This irritates skin of scalp causing more cells to grow and shed. Anti-dandruff shampoos contain ketoconazole to control fungus.
When to see the Dermatologist for dandruff cure?
If you are still scratching your head after several weeks of over-the-counter dandruff shampoos and dandruff home treatments. You may be suffering from seborrheic dermatitis.
Seborrheic dermatitis is severe form of dandruff affecting scalp, face and trunk.
Dandruff home treatment
- Soak 2 tablespoons of fenugreek (methi) seeds in water overnight. Grind into fine paste in the morning, apply on the scalp, leave for an hour and wash off.
- Squeeze a teaspoon of fresh lime juice into the last rinse while washing your hair.
- Massage curd on your scalp, leave it for half an hour before washing.
- Mix vinegar with equal amount of water and dab onto the scalp with cotton wool before washing.
Myths about Dandruff
1. Dandruff is caused by dry scalp.
2. Dandruff means you should wash hair less often.
Since people assume dandruff is because of dry scalp, they stop shampooing, which further aggravates dandruff.
3. Shampoo can cure dandruff.
Dandruff can be controlled not cured.
4. Dandruff is contagious.
5. Poor hygiene causes dandruff.
Hygiene and dandruff are not linked.
Anti-dandruff shampoos use a combination of ingredients to control dandruff like zinc pyrithione, steroids, selenium sulfide, coal tar, anti-fungal agents etc.
Oral anti-fungals are also used.
- Split ends are result of overstyling.
- Split ends occur when the protective outermost layer of hair (the cuticle) is damaged and peels back due to excessive styling and heat.
- Soft, flexible hairbrush
- Don't overbrush
- Avoid towel-drying
- Regular conditioning
- Washing too often.
- Harsh shampoo
- Excessive use of blow-drying, curling or straightening iron.
- Exposure to sun, wind, dry air.
- Perms and dyes
- Poor nutrition
- Don't wash everyday, unless you have oily scalp
- limit blow-drying, hot rollers
- Increase gap between salon treatments
- Wear hat on cold, windy days. Cap while swimming.
Due to excessive oil production by sebaceous glands
Shampoo more frequently.