Premature graying of hair
Grey hair happens to all of us at some point of age and is another inevitable part of the ageing process. Most of the people have a significant amount of grey hair by the age 50. Typically, white people start going grey in their mid-30s, Asians in their late 30s, and African-Americans in their mid-40s.
Graying begins to get apparent after the increased shedding of the thicker, darker hairs coupled with an enhanced growth of thinner white hairs. The color-producing cells stop producing pigment. Naturally occurring hydrogen peroxide can also build up in the hair, bleaching the color.
Today we see more youngsters sporting grey to silver strands, a sign of early graying hair. Causes of premature graying of hair
White hair solution
- Use of hot water for washing hair, and electric dryers for drying.
- Use of concentrated hair dyes: Many chemical hair colors contain ammonia which is an industrial bleaching agent and severely harms the hair. One should avoid chemical based shampoos and use herbal ones instead to avoid premature graying of hair.
- Unclean condition of the scalp.
- Exposure to pollution.
- Malnutrition is a common cause of hair whitening.
- Vitamin B-12 deficiency: Lack of some of the B vitamins, iron, copper, and iodine in the daily diet is said to be a contributory factor for white hair.
- Increased intake of fried, sour, spicy, salty, and fermented foods, as well as tea and coffee.
- Excessive consumption of alcohol and meat.
- Heredity is a predisposing factor for early white hair.
- A hormonal imbalance like hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism, and problems with the pituitary gland can cause premature graying which is reversible if the problem is corrected.
- Factors like excessive anger, stress, worry and anxiety are also responsible. Mental worries produce extraordinary tension in the skin of the scalp; this interferes with the supply of vital nutrition necessary for the health of the hair.
- People who suffer from chronic cold and sinusitis are prone to early graying of hair.
- Chemotherapy and radiation can cause hair whitening.
There are lots of choices for concealing white hair
- Hair products (Products should be free of ammonia).
Temporary (applying henna)
Semi-permanent (hair dye colors)
Scattered highlighted strands
Diet and Lifestyle Advice for hair whitening
- A change of hair color or hair style: best to choose a color dye closest to your original shade, as this will suit your skin tone and look the most natural.
Home Remedies for Premature Graying of Hair
- A combination of diet, herbs, oil massage, meditation, aromatherapy, breathing and yoga can be beneficial in addressing the problem of hair loss and premature graying of hair.
- Regular healthy and well-balanced diet with plenty of anti-oxidant loaded vegetables and fruits is best remedy for premature graying of hair.
- Include a lot of foods with vitamin B12, Folic Acid, and Omega 3 to your diet as a supplement or foods rich in these nutrients. The Omega 3 helps hair grow stronger, since it becomes brittle with age. Vitamin B12, on the other hand, helps retain your hair's original color and is also a good stress reliever.
- Avoid foods such as white flour, refined sugar, and soft drinks.
- Proper hair and scalp hygiene and de stressing activities are a must.
- There is no perfect solution to prevent stress-related gray hair, but of course, general stress reduction can help.
- Quit smoking.
- Get plenty of exercise and adequate sleep.
- Indian Gooseberry (amla) is a valuable hair tonic for enriching hair growth and hair pigmentation taken twice a day with water.
- Massaging the scalp with amla juice mixed with almond oil and a few drops of lime juice is beneficial in the prevention and treatment of premature graying of hair.
- Amaranth: Application of the fresh juice of the leaves of this vegetable helps the hair to retain its black colour and prevents it from premature greying.
- Curry Leaves: These leaves have the property of providing vitality and strength to hair roots, and can be used in buttermilk, or boiled in coconut oil to form an excellent hair tonic. It stimulates hair growth and bring back hair pigmentation.
- Butter: The butter made from cow's milk has the property of preventing premature greying of hair if taken in diet and massaged into the hair roots twice a week.
- Coconut Oil & Lemon: Massaging into scalp is beneficial for treating grey hair and also gives long term benefits in terms of texture, strength as well as length of hair.
- Almond oil: Massage of the scalp with almond oil is recommended.
- Aromatherapy : Massage essential oils into your scalp every night. For dark hair, try rosemary, thyme or sage. For lighter hair, try german chamomile or lavender. Put 2-3 drops of the oil on your palms and rub into your scalp every night.
The myth that gray hair makes you old is just that - a myth. If you were young, vibrant, active, healthy pre-gray, you're still going to be that way. It's all in the attitude you bring to it. If you think of it as merely another color choice, you won't be afraid of gray.