How to get rid of mosquitoes
Mosquitoes are dangerous insects.
Mosquitoes cause various diseases like malaria, dengue fever, yellow fever. Tips for protection from mosquitoes
Home- made mosquito repellents:
- Keep the surroundings clean and dry
- Avoid standing water in and around your house to prevent breeding of mosquitoes
- Use mosquito repellents on uncovered skin surfaces when outdoors. Repellants containing DEET or icaridin are most effective . DEET based products are available in concentration of 5% -30%, but chemical mosquito repellants are known to have neurological side effects, so they should be used with caution.
- Mosquito repellent sprays
- Use natural mosquito repellants like Citronella oil , Neem oil, Lavender oil.
- Stay indoors during dusk and dawn as dengue mosquitoes are most active at these times.
- Wear light color or white clothes as insects are attracted to dark colors.
- Wear loose, long sleeved shirts and long pants when outdoors.
- Consume garlic . It is released from skin pores, pungent smell of garlic keeps mosquitoes away.
- Go fragrance free while outdoors . Especially avoid perfumes with floral fragrances as mosquitoes are attracted to fragrances
- Certain blood groups specifically type O blood group people are more susceptible to mosquito bites
- Strenuous exercise results in sweating and lactic acid formation in the body . This again makes u prone to mosquito bites.
- Mosquito nets help.
(1) 10-15 drops of essential oil( lavender, citronella),2 tbsp of vegetable oil, 1tbsp aloe vera gel. Combine ingredients in a glass jar and stir to blend. Dab a few drops on skin or clothing.
(2) 25 drops of essential oil+ 1/4 cup water or organic apple cider vinegar. Combine and shake in a glass jar. Dab on skin or clothing.
(3) 6 drops each of citronella oil, lavender oil, neem oil , black pepper oil+ unscented oil or moisturizer. Mix and rub on skin.